Before a recent speaking engagement, a superintendent of schools and I had a conversation.
“We’re glad you’re here. These students need some motivation.”
“I’m here to help, but I don’t really motivate people.”
“What do you mean? You get students motivated. That’s why we hired you.”
“Don’t worry. They’ll be motivated. I’ll do what I do best—give them tools to motivate themselves.”
“Oohhh… Well…I guess that’s even better!”
Yup. That is better because the person who is waiting for someone or something else to motivate him will be left behind.
It’s your life. Get motivated. From within. Self-motivation, also known as intrinsic motivation, is a valuable asset on your path to success.
Being self-motivated is one of the top characteristics that employers want in their employees. They want self-starters—people with initiative.
Self-motivation could be part of your competitive advantage.
Are you sitting around waiting for
somebody else to motivate you?
1. In your opinion, what is the main thing that kills a person’s motivation? How do YOU deal with that problem?
2. Although self-motivation is intrinsic, extrinsic motivators like money, can still help give you the drive to succeed. List the top 5 things that motivate you. How many things on your list are extrinsic? How many are intrinsic? Which ones motivate you more, the intrinsic or extrinsic motivators? Why?
3. If you had a friend who was having a hard time being self-motivated, what advice would you give him or her? Why do you think your advice would be helpful?
4. Do you think it’s a leader’s responsibility to motivate the people around him/her? Why or why not?
5. What are 3 things you would do even if you didn’t get paid to do them? What would motivate you to do these things even if they didn’t pay you? How can you use those same motivators to help you achieve your goals?
- Categories: Duncan Nuggets®Goals & ProductivityGrit, Perseverance, DiligenceProfessionalSoft SkillsTeenVideosYoung Adult
Hey! Remember to Sign Up.
Speaker for Your Event?
Proud to be a National Partner of America's Promise
Fill out the form here or feel free to contact us directly at: